The purpose of this role is to work with existing and new software product development teams to instrument end-to-end observability and visibility for business-critical systems with log ingestion, metrics, and traces. This position will function as an observability engineer that will collaborate with product teams, infrastructure SMEs, DevOps engineers, and the proactive monitoring team to provide unique dashboards of relevant service level analytics for various product stakeholders.
1. Work closely with software product development teams (ITSO, Product Owner, SME) to implement monitoring & observability instrumentation within their platforms.
2. Drive adoption of best practices in monitoring, alerting, automation, and site reliability.
3. Lead/contribute to engineering efforts from design to implementation focusing on instrumentation of logs, metrics, and traces.
4. Drive use of automation in software instrumentation as well as in response to service degradation events.
5. Identify and execute on opportunities to implement instrumentation in pre-production environments.
6. Proactively pursue continuous improvement and expansion in observability coverage, service reliability best practices, incident management, and problem management.
1. Advanced Splunk experience and technical proficiency required.
2. Computer science degree preferred.
3. 5+ years IT related experience, preferably in DevOps, sys admin, and/or developer role.
4. 3+ years cumulative experience in the following technologies: Splunk/ITSI, AWS CloudWatch, APM (AppDynamics), SolarWinds, Grafana, Prometheus, or similar.
5. 2+ years’ experience in service-oriented architecture (SOA), microservices, and/or API network design paradigm.
6. Working knowledge of software development using modern programming languages such as C#/VB (.net core), Python, Go, etc…
7. Working knowledge of network protocols/technology, databases, and application servers and their roles in service delivery.
1. Must possess a deep desire to innovate and improve both the quality of IT services as well as service management practices.
2. Ability to work both independently and in a team setting (agile scrum).
3. Must possess above average written and verbal communication skills.